Due to Veterans Service Officers being required to prepare, present and prosecute claims as per the timelines set within the CFR 38, the offices will not fully close unless otherwise mandated by the Department of Veterans Affairs. While the offices will suspend all in-person services, we will continue to serve the current clients of the Monroe County Veterans Affairs Department. Our offices will accept documents through encrypted PDFs via email, fax, or hard copy via mail; in addition, we are implementing a drop box at the Key West and Key Largo offices Monday-Friday 8 a.m. to noon. Staff will work either remotely or in the office to fulfill our obligatory responsibilities to the Veteran clients in our community. The Marathon Satellite office hours are suspended. The Veterans Transportation Program which transports Veterans and Social Services clients to and from medical appointments in Miami-Dade is not operating to protect the health and safety of our passengers and staff.
Vaccines: Miami VA Health Care System
Monroe County Veterans seeking to receive their COVID-19 vaccination should schedule directly with their care teams. The Key West Outpatient Clinic is doing a vaccine clinic every Wednesday by appointment for Veterans enrolled in VA healthcare.
- Key West VA Outpatient Clinic telephone number is 305-293-4863
- Key Largo VA Outpatient Clinic telephone number is 305-451-0164
- Miami VA Hospital telephone number is 305-575-7000
Visit VA's COVID-19 vaccine website for more information at https://www.va.gov/health-care/covid-19-vaccine/.
There are two options for Veterans who wish to receive more information or register their interest in receiving a vaccine when it is available:
- They can speak with their care teams who will note their interest
- They can visit the VA web page at www.va.gov/health-care/covid-19-vaccine/ and sign up to be contacted.
Vaccinations for Veterans March 20 on Stock Island
One day, One Shot
MARCH 20 | 8 A.M. - 4 P.M.
COLLEGE OF THE FLORIDA KEYS
TENNESSEE WILLIAMS THEATER
WHILE SUPPLIES LAST, CALL NOW TO REGISTER
Veterans Must Meet VA Healthcare Eligibility
- This is the Johnson & Johnson single-dose vaccine. Veterans who want a different vaccination, contact the VA for availability.
- VA eligibility determination available on-site the day of or by pre-registering.
- There are only 500 vaccinations available for this event, pre-registration is highly recommended, but not required.
- Call 305-293-4863 (Key West VA) or 305-451-0164 (Key Largo VA) to pre-register or reschedule an already scheduled appointment Only VA eligibility required.
- No age or medical conditions required.
- Traveling Veterans can receive their vaccine at this event.
- For additional questions, Monroe County Veterans Affairs can also help, call 305-295-5150.
Testing: Miami VA Healthcare System
Any Veteran who shows symptoms should call the VISN 8 Clinical Contact Center at 1-877-741-3400 for triage and instruction prior to coming to the medical center or clinics.
These are the impacts to Veteran clients in Monroe based on COVID-19 Update from the Miami VA Healthcare System:
Impacts for veterans in Monroe County traveling via privately owned vehicles to appointments at Miami/Monroe VA locations:
- A singular point of entry assigned for all facilities and enhanced screening is being performed upon entry at all facilities
- Visitors need to plan extra time for screening
- Bruce W. Carter VA Medical Center: change to parking and drop off
- Visitors need to plan for extra travel time
Impacts for veterans in Monroe County who travel to the Miami VA - Bruce W. Carter VA Medical Center via Monroe County Veterans Affairs Veterans Transportation Program (VTP):
- Drop off will still be at the same location, but veteran clients will have to enter through the West Entrance
A reminder of current COVID precautions in place at the Miami VA Healthcare System:
- Universal Masking is in effect – all personnel on Miami VA grounds at any location must wear an appropriate mask.
- Physical Distancing is required in all waiting areas, public areas, and workspaces.
- Enhanced Screening methods are in place at all entrances to Miami VA facilities.
- Virtual care is encouraged whenever clinically appropriate.
Cathy CraneDirectorPhone: 305-295-5150
Key West OfficePhysical Address
1200 Truman Avenue, Suite 204
Key West, FL 33040
Phone: 305-295-5150Fax: 305-295-5175
Monday - Friday
8:00 am - 5:00 pm
Key Largo OfficePhysical Address
102050 Overseas Highway, Suite 208
Key Largo, FL 33037
Phone: 305-453-8777Fax: 305-453-8779
Monday - Friday
8 a.m. to 5 p.m.
Marathon Satellite OfficePhysical Address
3251 Overseas Highway
Marathon, FL 33050
Transportation ProgramPhysical Address
1200 Truman Avenue, Suite 204
Key West, FL 33040
Transportation Program Operates: Tuesday thru Friday
Call for Reservations: Monday thru Friday 8 a.m. to 5 p.m.
The Veterans Affairs Department has eight employees between its Key Largo and Key West offices providing services to approximately 8,000 full-time and 2,500 seasonal Veterans, military personnel, survivors, dependents, and family members in the Florida Keys. Department staff receives training per the Code of Federal Regulations Title 38, Florida Statute 292.11, and the Florida Department of Veterans Affairs.
Each year the Veterans Affairs Department has more than 18,000 client interactions while providing a wide variety of services.
- Service-related disabilities
- Non-service connected pensions
- Burial benefits
- Survivor’s benefits
- Educational and vocational rehabilitation benefits
- VA home loan eligibility assistance
- Appeals of any denied benefit
- Military service medal, decoration, and award issuance or replacement
- Military service records or document requisitions
- VA Healthcare application assistance
- Operate the courtesy Veterans Transportation Program
- Documentation assistance in conjunction with the Department of Veterans Affairs for:
- Disabled veterans license tags
- Property tax exemptions
- Educational benefits
- Commissary Privileges
The department also provides assistance in obtaining state benefits, such as free car tags and fishing licenses, for those who are 100-percent service-connected.
- VA Approved Urgent Care Centers
- Florida Dept. of Veterans Affairs Florida Veterans Benefit Guide
- Veterans Healthcare: VA Mission Act
- Hurricane Preparedness Guide for Veterans and Families, Spanish
Access and Quality in VA Healthcare
The U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs Access and Quality in VA Healthcare website answers questions like "how quickly can my VA facility see me," "how do service compare in your area," and "how can I find providers near me?"
The mission of the Veterans Affairs Department is to enhance the quality of life for veterans, survivors, dependents, and family members by assisting them in the preparation, presentation, and prosecution of claims for benefits and entitlements from federal, state, and local levels of government while advocating for veteran’s interests in the community.
Code of Client Concern
The Monroe County Veterans Affairs Department (MCVAD) is committed to providing the highest quality service to its clients. In order to achieve this goal, the dedication of each employee to the principles outlined in this code is essential. With a comprehensive knowledge of existing Department of Veterans Affairs (DVA) laws and regulations, and the willingness of all MCVAD personnel to assist our clients, we will be able to provide the kind of service to which we are committed. To that end:
- Each client must be afforded dignity as an individual and be treated with compassion and respect.
- Clients will be counseled fully and informed of any DVA program or benefit that may be available to them or their families.
- All employees shall in no way interfere with or prevent the filing of a claim, as all persons have the “right” to file, valid or not.
- All employees will protect every claimant as to “effective date” of the claim, wherever possible. This includes advising the claimant of any inadequacies which may cause a delayed effective date.
- All employees will keep confidential all records and communications pertaining to the client’s case.